The WWDC is Apple’s annual conference for developers. Like last year, WWDC 2021 will be fully digital. During a pre-recorded version of the WWDC keynote, Apple talked about iOS 15 , watchOS 8 , macOS 12 and more. Do you want a quick overview of all announcements? Then read this WWDC 2021 summary!
WWDC 2021 Watch Entire Keynote Again
Did you miss the presentation or do you just want to watch everything again? Which can! Just watch the full YouTube presentation below:
WWDC 2021 Recap
Below is a round-up of the announcements. Here you will find the most important points of all software updates with links to the complete explanation articles. This is the WWDC 2021 recap:
Features in all OS versions
A host of updates are coming to iOS 15 , iPadOS 15 and macOS 12:
- FaceTime: microphone settings, spatial audio, portrait mode, and browser support (also on Windows and Android).
- Share Play: Watch videos or listen to music with friends.
- iMessage: photo collages and new sharing options.
- Live Text: Text recognition in images.
- Safari: Grouped tabs and browser extensions on any device (including iOS).
- Notes: More features for collaborating in shared notes.
- Privacy: mail privacy features, including tracking pixel block
- New notifications: summaries and extra attention for personal messages.
- Focus: separate settings for work and private life for, among other things, notifications and home screen.
- Wallet: Support for keys and access cards.
- Weather: completely new look and more information.
- Photos: Retrospectives are expanded with more music and image options.
- QuickType: The swipe keyboard becomes available in Dutch.
- Health: gait stability is measured, view lab results, insight into trends and share data with family.
- Privacy: privacy report for apps, Siri processes your commands locally.
iPad OS 15
- Homescreen: widgets just like on the iPhone , a lot of apps get new widgets.
- Multitasking: more possibilities to use multiple apps at the same time
- Quick Notes: Quickly take notes from any app.
- Translate: was already available on iPhone , now also on iPad.
- Breathing: New mindfulness functionalities and measuring breathing in your sleep.
- New watch face: Portrait photos.
- Weather: Notification before it starts to rain.
- Find My: Find AirTags from your Apple Watch.
- Home: Improved app to control devices in your home.
macOS 12 Monterey
macOS 12 will be called Monterey.
- Universal Control: Control Mac and iPad with your mouse and keyboard as if it were one system.
- AirPlay to Mac: Use your Mac as an AirPlay receiver.
- Assignments: Automate workflows on your Mac just like you can on iPhone and iPad .
- Safari: complete redesign with new tabs bar that colors with websites.
- Apple TV: Ability to see what your friends are watching.
- HomePod mini: Collaboration with Apple TV ,
- Siri: Accessories can build Siri into their product.
- Matter: Support for this open standard for smart home products in iOS 15.
Conversation Boost: Boost the sound of a conversation through your AirPods.
- Siri: Have notifications from all apps read aloud.
- Find my AirPods: AirTags advanced search now also for AirPods.
- Spatial Audio: Support on Mac and Apple TV and in FaceTime.
- iCloud+: VPN, one-time email addresses, and video storage for security cameras.
- Recovery Contact: You can designate a known person who can generate a recovery code for you.
- Digital Legacy: Ability to give relatives access to iCloud.
- Swift Playground: You can now build apps on an iPad.
- XCode Cloud: Collaboration for app developers.
- Testflight: Finally available for the Mac.
- App Store: Promote image A/B testing and live events.
When will the updates come?
Developers can immediately download the betas of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, watchOS 8, and macOS 12 Monterey. The public betas will follow in July and the final versions will be available for everyone to install this fall.
Source : Apple